Thursday, September 15, 2005

Day

And on this evening looking afternoon, you sit on the stairs and look.
A tree that covers most of the house from this far, making it seem like the spiral stairs actually lead to heaven.

One day I had a thought. And I named it evanescence.

Little garden next to parking lot. Fat green caterpillar eating leaves. Has this little thing on its side. A white drop, with a cicumference of black that looks like an eye. Eats leaves methodically.
You remember that science lesson from high school?
You see a leaf under a microscope and apart from the skeleton, the cells and all that actually grow ( or seem to) in straight lines.
So it actually eats the leaves bit by bit, vertically.

Summer of pigtails and red bermudas.
Dragon flies.
Running behind them all over the garden, soil as your shoes, wings for gaussamer flirtations.

One day I caught one of you. And you called it destiny.

Trying to scribble out a report, or a solution, to Fermats Last theorem one late evening in University. Looking up, spaced out. Floor cold below you, sneakers extending in front.

Two pieces of candy to melt in your mouth. A flush in your cheek. The sweetness touching you so intimately that it almost seems like a distant happiness.

One day destiny knocked my head hard. And I called it moribund.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, 18 September, 2005, Blogger small squirrel said...

only one world:

PHENOMINAL.

your pacing, your imagery...really mature writing here Prat. You shine, like always.

 
At Sunday, 18 September, 2005, Blogger Ubermensch said...

how u spill that ink, into meanings , into tenderness that travels through time, how blessed we are to read you, me especially to relate to what I read here, dear garbo, u wudnt know how much I wish to covet that phrase,'wings for gaussemer flirtations', coz it has so mch soul.
Keep shining
Uber

 
At Wednesday, 21 September, 2005, Blogger Extempore said...

This is my first time here - you write beautifully. This piece in particular is brilliant.

Will come back. :)

 
At Thursday, 22 September, 2005, Blogger Rajesh said...

came here for no apprent reason. boy, am I not delighted!

spiral stairs actually lead to heaven.

I know it is sacrilegious, but I have been there :) , however your imagery goes beyond mere mortality.

I am relishing the greenhouse effect of the caterpiller metaphor, the airy spirit and even the "moribund" thought.

 
At Thursday, 22 September, 2005, Blogger Pallavi said...

like the destiny bit... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home