Sunday, April 23, 2006

Itchy feet

Eyelids begin to open and the roof above is almost swirling. Not cured from my last dream and something faint, maybe the alarm, is screeching in the distance, maybe somewhere near my fingertips.
I open my eyes and turn it off.
The next few moments are mixed with shock and horror. I donot recognise what I see. The bed seems strange and unusually bumpy. The scrunchie, the book and the reading glasses next to the bed are mine though.
Then it sinks in. I am in yet another city, far away from home. The university sweat shirt that I sleep in, the only reminder of life that is the exact opposite of the heat, the penury, the flies, and dirty sheets around. My back-pack is in one corner of the room, my sole companion as I tread all those miles, in search of something I don't yet have and getting to know something I am yet to understand.

All you who sleep tonight
for from the ones you love,
no hand to left or right
and emptiness above-

Sometimes I wonder why my interests are not like those of most of the others I graduated with- the range lying between corporate offices, cut throat competition, companions, weddings, children and such. Not that I have anything personal against them. I remember a time when I had one of those plush jobs. Reckon was even good at it.
Its just that being a tortured traveller can be a little unsettling at times. The high points of my day and life revolve around things that are not tangible, but are fleeting.
I often wonder when I pack my bag yet another time and fasten my walking shoes, in the anticipation of a new place, what it is that I seek. What it is that the entire race of these "tortured travellers" seek.
And yet, bang in the middle of nameless faces, numberless streets, cat calls and occasional undesirable glances later, I know that I am holding on to a piece of treasure. Fleeting treasures, I thus collect and let them be a part of me, as I lug my cart around.

Know that you aren't alone
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years.

Later during the day, I will settle down with some tea in one of the innumerable, ever colourful street side cafes and write a postcard home. One of those hunky dory ones taken at a tourist hot spot.
Days later, you will receive it, in my chicken scratch writing. Maybe you will smile.
I have my struggles. I have my victories. What I don't have is happiness.

All you who sleep tonight- Vikram Seth

19 Comments:

At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Mr. J said...

Quite neatly sums up a travellers toughts.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Inkblot said...

sounds very very familiar...and love those lines by seth...

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger {illyria} said...

so crisp and real. i stepped right inside.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Zii said...

after reading the first two paragraphs i thought you must have had 2 joints!

 
At Wednesday, 26 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it made me ache and cry. your summations are masterpieces, Prat, but i am repeating myself. how you compress the most unpinnable thoughts into small sketches is beyond me.

 
At Wednesday, 26 April, 2006, Blogger Scoot said...

sounds like a great travelouge
after all,you are having fun right

 
At Wednesday, 26 April, 2006, Blogger Scoot said...

sounds like a great travelouge
after all,you are having fun right

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Prat said...

Me,
You should know!

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Prat said...

Inkblot,
Yeah...somehow he has a lot of soul in his poetry.
trans,
nice to see you here again.
pingu boy,
babe, blogger loves you too much to hide your comment. like certain other people around :D
zii, i can get high on water sometimes. even thinking on rare days.
nocturne,
thanks babe. you are too kind.
Maya,
oh yes. loads of fun. more than I had bargained for, infact. thanks for stopping by.

 
At Sunday, 30 April, 2006, Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

"not all those who wander are lost" JRR Tolkien.
back after long. you remain enchanting as always.

 
At Sunday, 30 April, 2006, Blogger ... said...

You captured the idea of the journey and its attendant reservations exquisitely.

The intro grabs you immediately and doesn't let go.

 
At Monday, 01 May, 2006, Blogger n.g. said...

sometimes i wonder how i grew up to find my interest being different from the conventional.

most times i just thank my stars they are.

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger musafir said...

I think the wanderlust is an essential element in all our souls. It's just that it takes a lot of peeling away at the layers of superficiality which lie above it. And it's an emotion that is so difficult to make sense of. One moment you think "This is it, this is what I've wanted to see, this is where I will stop" but then pretty soon, the urge to move comes back, and before long, you're on your way again...and that poem by Vikram Seth is so fitting.

"Its just that being a tortured traveller can be a little unsettling at times. The high points of my day and life revolve around things that are not tangible, but are fleeting." -- exactly!

Nice post this.

 
At Friday, 05 May, 2006, Blogger Rajesh said...

Prat,
reading you is like listening to Jazz, just the windpipe and the music and as someone said here, one steps right into the rhythm and blues.

The sketches here I can see are captured off fleeting moments of awareness, a sudden recognition or sometimes an insight that seemed so trivial.

...this to me almost an intrinsic definition of your writing.

- Rajesh

 
At Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Stormy Zephyr said...

Seth does write well, doesn't he? Long time Prat. Hope things are well

 
At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger Lubna said...

Hi, got to your blog through the post you left on mine. Nice post. Come to think of it, life is a journey, it is left to us to decide our destination.

 
At Thursday, 18 May, 2006, Blogger shradha said...

lost
as i am
lost
as you are
lost
as we want to be
lost
as will better itself

 
At Monday, 10 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> I have my struggles. I have my victories

May be thats why u r named what u r named.. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home